Welcome! Please contribute your ideas for what challenges we might aspire to solve, changes in our community that can improve machine learning impact, and examples of machine learning projects that have had tangible impact.
Lacking context for this site? Read the original paper: Machine Learning that Matters (ICML 2012). You can also review the slides.
On Using Machine Learning For Network Intrusion Detection
  • A little while ago, a colleague and I wrote up some thoughts on why in cybersecurity we see a very striking gap between research efforts (which frequently use ML) and operational systems that one actually finds deployed in real-life environments for detecting attacks (which hardly use ML at all). I thought this might be an interesting read for you guys as it offers a domain-specific perspective on issues similar to those discussed here. The paper is here: http://www.icir.org/robin/papers/oakland10-ml.pdf

Robin

• 1 Comment sorted by
  • Thanks, Robin.  I, for one, have been curious why intrusion detection ML research hasn't made more of an impact.

Welcome!

To post or add a comment, please sign in or register.

Tip: click the star icon to bookmark (follow) a discussion. You will receive email notifications of subsequent activity.
If search doesn't work, try putting a + in front of your search term.